Author Topic: D&D Beyond is up!  (Read 139 times)

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
D&D Beyond is up!
« Topic Start: March 20, 2017, 12:45:39 PM »
Perhaps this is more 5e related as it has all the OGL stuff in a fancy display too... but the D&D Beyond forums are here.

Offline Nanshork

• Epic Member
  • Boo!
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
Re: D&D Beyond is up!
« Reply #1: March 20, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »
So they got rid of all of their forums, and then made a new forum.....
Nanshork's "Notes to Self" (Extended Signature Thread)

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 21, 2017, 12:46:18 PM »
So they got rid of all of their forums, and then made a new forum.....

I was kind of wondering about that myself.

Has social media evolved again that having an in-house forum is a Good Thing (TM) again?
Or were they just tired of maintaining all the stuff on the old forum so they made up a stupid story so they could trash it then call a mulligan and hope nobody notices? (Or at least isn't gauche enough to comment.)

Online SorO_Lost

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 21, 2017, 01:20:39 PM »
Has social media evolved again that having an in-house forum is a Good Thing (TM) again?
You should read the website.

The first phase of beta testing for D&D Beyond—an official digital toolset for Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition—is now live.

We are also excited to share the news that the DDB beta is open to everyone! In light of the overwhelming community response for beta signups, we want to get D&D Beyond into players’ hands as quickly as possible.

The beta will have three major phases to focus testing on specific features prior to launch this summer:
    Phase 1 - Compendium, Listings, and Forums
    Phase 2 - Character Builder and Character Sheet
    Phase 3 - Homebrew Integration and Campaign Management
At this point, players can use all basic rules content in the Compendium and Spells, Magic Items, and Monsters Listings, as well as share feedback and discuss all things D&D in the Forums.

Visit www.dndbeyond.com to learn more and start your beta adventure now!
The forum is just naturally part of wanting to consolidate homebrew discussions on a website they can control, plus they really do seem to want feedback this time around. Likewise with the ten thousand character creation apps posted on the android store there is an obvious desire to have some kind of easy creation tool, and where there is want, there is profit. And instead of paying a buck for someone else's app, you can contribute to their web traffic numbers (and D&D advertisements).
What would happen if you were to climb to what you think my ego is and jump to what your post says your IQ is?
Neutrality is harder than you think.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • (un-) Amazingly Unproductive
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 22, 2017, 04:29:07 PM »
I guess I'll register on the first of the month.
12000 posts , can be Rwong

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 22, 2017, 10:33:01 PM »
The forum is just naturally part of wanting to consolidate homebrew discussions on a website they can control, plus they really do seem to want feedback this time around. Likewise with the ten thousand character creation apps posted on the android store there is an obvious desire to have some kind of easy creation tool, and where there is want, there is profit. And instead of paying a buck for someone else's app, you can contribute to their web traffic numbers (and D&D advertisements).

So . . .
"What idiot killed the forums? Don't they know the marketing potential! Don't they know the control it gives us!"
"That was you sir."
"Never mind finding someone to blame! Throw something together and come up with a press release to make my fanbois worship me even more!"
"Yes sir."
"Oh, and what's the status of those online tools that have been vaporware since 2001?"
"We have another announcement on that ready to go sir."
"Excellent! Oh, and do something about that Samwise fellow. He is so astonishingly gauche."
"We'll try sir."

Online SorO_Lost

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 23, 2017, 03:56:59 PM »
I imagine half of that is exactly how the meeting went.
What would happen if you were to climb to what you think my ego is and jump to what your post says your IQ is?
Neutrality is harder than you think.