Author Topic: Discussion about board migration  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Epic Member
  • Boo!
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
Discussion about board migration
« Topic Start: February 21, 2017, 05:49:49 PM »
I'm creating this thread as a planning thread to get things back on track.  If Meg is going to allow someone else to take over this board we need a plan.  Trust me on this.

Strat and Robby have both expressed interest/willingness to host the site.

I am NOT willing to host, however I am 100% willing to be tech support for the site.  I'm in IT and have done website support and coding if anyone wants a basic explanation of my credentials.  If nobody needs me to support this site that's fine too.

IN MY OPINION the plan needs to have at least the following:

1. A decision on who will host the site out of the people invested in this conversation, otherwise multiple people might end up harassing Meg about being the person to take over the site..  She's obviously had enough of that already.
2. A migration plan for the board including domain name registration migration if possible/Meg is willing.
3. An implementation schedule and team (if more people than just the person hosting the board are doing the migration).
4. A decision on reorganization, if any (we've already had a suggestion of fleshing out the 5E section).
5. A possible decision by whoever is making decisions on if any changes should be made to what users are mods.  This might not be needed if traffic stays relatively low, but I think that we've only got one regularly active mod left.

This isn't intended as some sort of coup of the website or me taking the reins, I just like leading projects.  Any and all input by anyone is good, we're all members of the same community here.

Edit: Also feel free to link this thread to wherever you think people might see it that you think would provide good input.  Aside from the two threads actively discussing this I couldn't think of anywhere else good to throw in a link.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:58:01 PM by Nanshork »
Nanshork's "Notes to Self" (Extended Signature Thread)

Offline Stratovarius

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creator of Alternate Magic Systems
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion about board migration
« Reply #1: February 21, 2017, 06:16:46 PM »
So, couple things from my end:

1) Finances for keeping this place going aren't a problem, if I end up hosting
2) While I am technically inclined, I haven't been a forum admin/DB editor for ~7 years. So I'd nominate Nanshork as trustworthy for whomever ends up hosting.

Otherwise, I would agree with the salient points Nanshork has laid out, and would second that we follow them.

Offline SorO_Lost

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
  • Respect: +137
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 21, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »
This isn't intended as some sort of coup of the website or me taking the reins, I just like leading projects.
You power hungry mongol! Nah it's fine. Like all I could do is write new bb tags and throw money at things. If Strato hosts I'm just another person in the peanut gallery.

0. As I brought up before, we can hedge our bets. For the users I suggest cleaning up your PMs because it's possible the new admins for read them, for Meg I suggest getting a file/folder list (it should be all in one location anyway) and personally coping those files so she doesn't expose all of her stuff to a stranger, this is intentionally done to mitigate all risks involved but obviously it still squares us off at...
1. A host/IT that won't simply abandon us, maliciously wipe things (other wise we have to go crying back to Meg), or release the entire database. The problem with the latter is we risk splitting up as multiple people claim to post things.
2 & 3. This stuff is on the dev team really. Like if before you can pose the question of if the forums should move to an updated version you have to know if the team can handle the update. Before domain name registration you have to know if Meg will hand it over. Some of these answers won't become apparently until later on like you won't know a realistic time table until you know realistically what the team is capable of.
4. So I take claim for the 5th suggestion :p It seems to have taken off much better than 4th on other forums & reddit. We get an ok about of posts on it given for what we are but I think if members could freely sign up and the forum basically gets out there again I think a lot of new users will have an interest in 5th. I'm not really sure if there is anything else but now is a great time for people to post some ideas/feedback.
What would happen if you were to climb to what you think my ego is and jump to what your post says your IQ is?
Neutrality is harder than you think.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 21, 2017, 08:03:47 PM »
I'll help out where I can, just let me know what to do.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #4: February 21, 2017, 08:49:56 PM »
if someone beats me to the punch, cool

if strat wants to hose, cool

yay group efforts

#Soon
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Nanshork

• Epic Member
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 21, 2017, 08:56:57 PM »
Strat, you've mentioned that you currently have other sites.  How many sites do you have?

Offline brujon

• Legendary Member
  • Insufferable Fool
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #6: February 21, 2017, 09:35:51 PM »
Really sad we're having to go through yet another migration... First the Wizards C.O boards, then the old BG boards, now the new MMX boards...  :sobbing
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 21, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
Really sad we're having to go through yet another migration... First the Wizards C.O boards, then the old BG boards, now the new MMX boards...  :sobbing
Actually we won't really be going through a migration.

The plan is a new host. The same forum, profile, and all the posts will still remain the same. Meg-willing, you won't even have to change your bookmark :p
What would happen if you were to climb to what you think my ego is and jump to what your post says your IQ is?

Offline Nanshork

• Epic Member
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 21, 2017, 09:38:40 PM »

Depending on how a handful of things play out this migration might not be as disruptive, that's the hope anyway.

Offline brujon

• Legendary Member
  • Insufferable Fool
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #9: February 21, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »

The plan is a new host. The same forum, profile, and all the posts will still remain the same. Meg-willing, you won't even have to change your bookmark :p

Not going to lie, sounds pretty awesome to me.

Here's fingers crossed that this is pretty much exactly what will happen, with absolutely zero hassle and no unexpected issues at all (as unlikely as that is with everything ever)!

EDIT: Also, sadly, i'm absolutely not technically inclined in the slightest so can't help on that end... Depending on how a few things go i might be able to financially help the project, but it's a complete toss up.

As far as money goes, when it would be needed?
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nanshork

• Epic Member
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 21, 2017, 09:48:58 PM »

Not going to lie, sounds pretty awesome to me.

Here's fingers crossed that this is pretty much exactly what will happen, with absolutely zero hassle and no unexpected issues at all (as unlikely as that is with everything ever)!

EDIT: Also, sadly, i'm absolutely not technically inclined in the slightest so can't help on that end... Depending on how a few things go i might be able to financially help the project, but it's a complete toss up.

As far as money goes, when it would be needed?

That depends on a few things, like who hosts and where they host and what money they're willing to throw in.

First, does anyone besides Strat want to throw their hat in as someone who might be the person to replace Meg and become the owner of the forum?  Robby hasn't piped up yet and alterpersona just seems to be happy as long as someone is doing it.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #11: February 21, 2017, 10:01:32 PM »
fundamentally nan is correct....

i still plan on doing it but wont be offended if ya'll you'ns beat me to it.
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline SorO_Lost

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 21, 2017, 10:12:04 PM »
First, does anyone besides Strat want to throw their hat in as someone who might be the person to replace Meg and become the owner of the forum?  Robby hasn't piped up yet and alterpersona just seems to be happy as long as someone is doing it.
I might have been wrong but I could have sworn Robby was interested, one of the mods, somewhere, mentioned they were trying to acquire hosting. But eh, it's only day 1. Some people probably haven't even had a chance to check the boards yet.

If I have to, I could probably talk the wife into swinging hosting fees. But like Strata, someone else would have to configure everything and volunteer to be the IT guy so we're in the same boat. I'm willing to save four hundred bucks and let Strata go right ahead and take front on that end if he wants. If that fails out you can always let me know and go from there. And judging by Alt it's pretty much the same deal with him, if someone else can't just let him know. I guess that makes us plan B or something.

Offline Nanshork

• Epic Member
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 21, 2017, 10:27:36 PM »
I might have been wrong but I could have sworn Robby was interested, one of the mods, somewhere, mentioned they were trying to acquire hosting. But eh, it's only day 1. Some people probably haven't even had a chance to check the boards yet.

If I have to, I could probably talk the wife into swinging hosting fees. But like Strata, someone else would have to configure everything and volunteer to be the IT guy so we're in the same boat. I'm willing to save four hundred bucks and let Strata go right ahead and take front on that end if he wants. If that fails out you can always let me know and go from there. And judging by Alt it's pretty much the same deal with him, if someone else can't just let him know. I guess that makes us plan B or something.

I agree, I'm 100% sure Robby was interested.  That's why I asked, I don't want anyone who's been a part of this conversation to feel left out.  Strat seems pretty comfortable with shouldering the cost of the site.

Nice to know that I'm the IT guy around here, haha.

Offline SorO_Lost

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 21, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »
Pretty much. Programming is easy, networking on the other hand is a nightmare for trying to align a dozen programs/computers into working like they claim they are supposed to. :p

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #15: February 21, 2017, 10:47:30 PM »
I'm not going to throw my hat in on this - I'm going to be starting a new job pretty soon, so I'm unsure if I'd be of any help.

My big suggestion, though? I want the [video] tag added.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Stratovarius

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creator of Alternate Magic Systems
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: February 21, 2017, 11:16:26 PM »
Strat, you've mentioned that you currently have other sites.  How many sites do you have?

Was six, cut it down recently because several were more or less archived projects. So, four these days.

I agree, I'm 100% sure Robby was interested.  That's why I asked, I don't want anyone who's been a part of this conversation to feel left out.  Strat seems pretty comfortable with shouldering the cost of the site.

Hey, I'm always willing to take donations to split the cost, but on the other hand, I've certainly spent money in worse ways...

And Nanshork, you're always going to end up as my support guy :P

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: February 22, 2017, 01:42:08 AM »
This is awesome. I'm actually kinda bummed out all my forum moderation experience isn't with Simple Machines forums so I can't even begin to help with back-end crap  :tongue

If this was vBulletin, I'd be all over this~

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: February 22, 2017, 01:48:58 AM »
I'd like to nominate SorO as a mod.  Just because it would be a big "fuck you" to certain other sites with overly zealous moderators. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: February 22, 2017, 06:48:25 AM »
If one of you's willing to take on the server hosting and Meg wants to part with it (I'm assuming here that the gameologists already know of the idea through altpersona or someone else, or it would be rather rude to start laying plans) (EDIT: And then I saw Meg's own sticky), I'm in support, for all that's worth, having no IT knowledge that would be useful here. I could volunteer my services to actually write out the concrete plan that gets put together for Meg and everyone to be on the same page.

I'd like to nominate SorO as a mod.  Just because it would be a big "fuck you" to certain other sites with overly zealous moderators.
Speaking in my appointed role as The No Fun Guy, I don't think this is a good reason to appoint someone moderator.

Regarding someone with the trustworthiness and the know-how to grab the files, there's veekie and Prime, who are both computer people and longstanding mods. In veekie's case, I even talk to him regularly still.

Should a more real-time platform to discuss the issue on seem useful, the #mmxgeneral IRC channel still exists.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:00:55 AM by Agita »
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.