Poll

What's your favorite campaign setting, 1st or 3rd party?

World of Greyhawk
2 (3.9%)
Forgotten Realms
8 (15.7%)
Eberron
17 (33.3%)
Dark Sun
2 (3.9%)
Planescape
10 (19.6%)
Spelljammer
2 (3.9%)
Dragonlance
6 (11.8%)
Ravenloft
1 (2%)
Mystara
0 (0%)
Kingdoms of Kalamar
1 (2%)
Other (please specify)
2 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Favorite D&D Campaign Setting?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
  • *Insert anime reference here*
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
    • Quasar Knight Enterprises
Favorite D&D Campaign Setting?
« Topic Start: November 12, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
There's an awful lot of campaign settings out there, so most of the choices are "official" ones.  "Other" covers all 3rd-party campaign settings.

However, if there's a third-party setting you particularly enjoy, let's hear about it!

My favorite setting's Greyhawk.

Most of my early Dungeons and Dragons experience was participating in Living Greyhawk adventures in middle school.  I also ran Paizo's Age of Worms Adventure Path several years ago.  I had some real fun with it, and it was this adventure path that my group and I first experimented with the really unbalanced stuff in the game: the party Cleric used Divine Metamagic to one-shot Dragotha, a major dragon-lich villain near the end of the campaign.  In the adventure before that, the sorcerer was Fingering of Death several big dragon encounters.  Big, bad-ass, mighty dragons, all dead from a single spell. :eh  It was fun in a weird way, tearing apart the system and making a cakewalk of many dangerous encounters.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:34:40 AM by Libertad »

Offline brujon

• Legendary Member
  • Gestalt Otaku10/Geek10//Nerd20
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite D&D Campaign Setting?
« Reply #1: November 13, 2011, 07:27:26 AM »
I have to say it's Planescape. When i first came in contact with it, it was through Planescape: Torment. One of the best, if not the BEST PC Rpg's i've ever had the pleasure to play. The city of Sigil is just so bleak, the grey morality of the world, and the high fantasy yet oddly familiar politics of the planar wheel...  Something about Planescape that just makes me want to transport myself there. Gosh, i wish i had someone to DM a game like that for me. Why, someone here could DM a game like that :D i'd be more than happy to play ^^
This is a signature.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 13, 2011, 08:56:42 AM »
This was really hard... I love Planescape, Eberron, and Dragonlance... but I had to go with Spelljammer.  :)

EDIT:  It's possible I'll run a planescape campaign.  :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:34:49 AM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Online veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Chaos Dice
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 13, 2011, 09:22:31 AM »
It depends on whether its to play or read(having entered the hobby too late for some), for play it'd probably be Eberron, but Spelljammer's great to read about.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 13, 2011, 09:32:08 AM »
If I had to restrict my choices to settings that originated from 1st party, I'd take Dark Sun.  Overall, though, KoK has a slight edge for my tastes.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
  • *Insert anime reference here*
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
    • Quasar Knight Enterprises
« Reply #5: November 13, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »
It depends on whether its to play or read(having entered the hobby too late for some), for play it'd probably be Eberron, but Spelljammer's great to read about.

I find that Greyhawk's very fun to play in, but if you don't have pre-3rd edition material or access to Living Greyhawk adventures, the setting potential is quite limited.

You've pretty much got iconic adventure paths from Paizo, the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, and Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk in terms of 3rd edition stuff.  Too bad Wizards of the Coast dropped development on it.

As for being fun to read, I'd say Dragonlance.  I cut my teeth on 3rd edition, so I only have access to the Dragonlance books from that era.  The 2 Dragonlance adventure paths (The Key of Destiny and Dragons of [Season]) read like traditional fantasy epics, but they've got more railroading than I'm comfortable with handling.  It's got all the stuff of a fantasy epic as well: adventurers traveling across the continent in an effort to save the world from a great evil.  The Key of Destiny's also very liberal when it comes to handing out ancient artifacts of power with their own history.  For example, by 6th level, the PCs should have access to the Shard of Light, a +2 brilliant energy short sword that can grant sneak attack damage to undead, and the Dragonlance of Huma, a +4 lance that grants awesome dragon-killing powers to lawful good characters.

Offline Havok4

• A Being of Malevolent Sentience
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 13, 2011, 11:10:15 AM »
I am going to have to say Eberron as it manages to be unique and interesting while still holding on to the broad strokes of a traditional fantasy world which allows for interesting combinations of traditional and nontraditional plots and characters. Planescape, Spelljammer, and Dark sun are all more unique and in some ways more interesting setting but they preclude a lot of different archetypical plots or events, like going to a mountain stronghold and fighting a dragon. And sometimes I just want to go through those archetypical plots. And if I want something different I can always bring out the dragon secret agents or psionic secret societies. I also like how the setting deliberately tries to be all inclusive in what type of content is appropriate for the world.

Offline radionausea

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 13, 2011, 11:44:40 AM »
A toss up between Iron Kingdoms and Eberron.  I know more about Eberron,  I've played with it longer and its my default setting for DMing but I just -like- a lot more elements of Iron Kingdoms. 
Something inside me dies when I see the word fallacy applied to ideas held about roleplaying. And a small bit of vomit comes up when I see a character called a 'toon'.

Offline Bard

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Medium sized Lemure
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 13, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »
Eberron, hands down, love the pulp/steampunk feeling of it. And the fact that's it's possibily the only setting where magic is used in a meaningful way.

I don't like any of the other settings much, except maybe Planescape with the "houserule" that all other settings are material planes that can be accessed from it.
"Playing the first 6 levels in D&D is like watching the story intro at the beginning of an action/disaster movie: it's boring and the shorter it is, the better."

Offline brujon

• Legendary Member
  • Gestalt Otaku10/Geek10//Nerd20
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 13, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »
This was really hard... I love Planescape, Eberron, and Dragonlance... but I had to go with Spelljammer.  :)

EDIT:  It's possible I'll run a planescape campaign.  :)

HELLS YEAH! Reserve a place for me, cutter. :D
This is a signature.

Offline Ryu Hayabusa

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 13, 2011, 04:47:32 PM »
I'd have to say Forgotten Realms or Ravenloft. I went with FR for my vote, but they're about equal for me. Dragonlance, Mystara and Grayhawk have plenty of fond memories, too. The only ones I dislike are Planescape and Eberron. The former I disagree with its style and take on the planes, and the latter does nothing for me. I don't like steampunk or the entire style they're trying to pull.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 14, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
I've never played in any of these, but I always thought Ravenloft looked cool back when I played 2E. The guy I played with had the campaign setting, but he never used it for more than inspiration.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline midnight_v

• It is good and fitting to die for the dice...
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 14, 2011, 03:32:38 PM »
Hombrew. Or Fogotten realms but only cause I read all those books when I was a teen.
I like the Tome Series world with the elves as servants of the high wizards, and the borderlands of the sahaugin. Brilliant stuff.
"Disentegrate...gust of wind. Can we please get back to saving the world now?"

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Head Moderator
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 15, 2011, 07:21:25 AM »
Having started with 3.5e, Eberron seemed like the only option that didn't assume you understood the setting from earlier editions (I was also able to find a copy of Ravenloft - can't remember if it was 3.0 or 3.5).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 07:23:09 AM by Prime32 »

Offline archangel.arcanis

• View Profile
« Reply #14: November 15, 2011, 07:32:03 AM »
I'm the lonely guy in Dragonlance. I loved the novels growing up, I actually have the first one that is only a year younger than myself. Most of the early games I played were home variations on DL as there weren't any 3.0 rules for it. Once I found the MWP official setting information I nabbed much of it before 4e came and trampled their licence. I actually find it a difficult setting to play in as it is so busy with world changing events. I've taken to running games that ignore parts of the novels or are set on other continents.

Offline solara

• this hurts my physics
    • View Profile
« Reply #15: November 15, 2011, 09:50:18 PM »
I voted FR for nostalgia's sake (my first campaign was there, and I love some of the organizations/kingdoms, especially when I can mix up the flavor for fun) but I really love all the campaign settings. If you can name a world, I can think of a character to play there.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: November 16, 2011, 05:22:12 AM »
I voted FR for nostalgia's sake (my first campaign was there, and I love some of the organizations/kingdoms, especially when I can mix up the flavor for fun) but I really love all the campaign settings. If you can name a world, I can think of a character to play there.
I choose you, Darkmoor.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline midnight_v

• It is good and fitting to die for the dice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: November 17, 2011, 12:57:08 PM »
+1
specially bout faerun. Kingdom of Chult... just waiting to be established. 4th ed though... I stopped listening.
"Disentegrate...gust of wind. Can we please get back to saving the world now?"

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 17, 2011, 12:58:31 PM »
Eberron is my personal favorite. Never tried Spelljammer or Dark Sun, but they sound like they'd be a lot of fun.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
« Reply #19: November 17, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »
I'm the lonely guy in Dragonlance. I loved the novels growing up, I actually have the first one that is only a year younger than myself. Most of the early games I played were home variations on DL as there weren't any 3.0 rules for it. Once I found the MWP official setting information I nabbed much of it before 4e came and trampled their licence. I actually find it a difficult setting to play in as it is so busy with world changing events. I've taken to running games that ignore parts of the novels or are set on other continents.

You are alone no longer!  I read the Dragonlance novels long before I knew what Dungeons and Dragons was.  One of my first D&D books?  Dragonlance Campaign Setting.

I've never actually succeeded in getting a Dragonlance game going, unfortunately.  Also, none of the other D&D players in my group have ever read Dragonlance...so they all hate kender on principle.  :(
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”