Poll

When using Sculpt Spell on Path of Frost (60ft-cone), does it affect creatures in a 3D fashion?

Yes, because they are 'caught within the area' and specifies 'all creatures'
2 (25%)
Kind of, it affects all non-flying in the cone (walkers and climbers)
3 (37.5%)
No, it affects only touching the ground only
3 (37.5%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Sculpting Spells  (Read 1201 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
Sculpting Spells
« Topic Start: April 24, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »
having a little issue with this in a certain Gladiator Arena.

in a nutshell, I feel that, since a cone is 3D, the spell affects all those caught in the area.
He feels that the cone only places a 2D layer on the ground, changing only the shape of the ice patch.

neither i or he should vote, since we both know what that would be
(click to show/hide)

What do you people think, and why?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Frogman55

• I'm not very new!
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Re: Sculpting Spells
« Reply #1: April 24, 2014, 02:21:19 PM »
Ok, I failed my click check. I meant to vote 'Other', not 'No, it affects only touching the ground only'.

I would probably rule that the movement penalties (slowing down, need for balance checks, & falling prone) apply to someone touching the ice. Sculpt spell should let you have the path climb walls instead of staying on the ground.

At the same time, I'd probably have any creature in the 3d space take the cold damage.

Offline Leviathan

• Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 24, 2014, 03:19:01 PM »
I would rule that all surfaces in the cone are covered in ice, and any creature trying to move along those surfaces (walking, climbing, etc.) takes the penalties. Climbing creatures that would fall prone fall also fall to the ground. Only creatures touching the ice take the damage. This opinion is based more on the description of how the spell does what it does than on any rule.

Offline FlaminCows

• Push that button. Doo eeet.
  • Respect: +520
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 24, 2014, 03:23:30 PM »
+1
"This spell can be cast only on solid ground and has no effect when cast on the surface of water or other liquids."

That is very clear. Even if the area is changed to a cone, that line does not change so the spell still only affects solid ground within that cone. Air is not a liquid, but it certainly isn't solid ground either.

So if you were facing a cliff the ground between you and the cliff and part of the cliff face would be affected, but if someone was hovering there they would not be affected. Characters who are walking or climbing on something solid would be affected.