Poll

Would you like to see a monthly min/max contest?

Yes, and I would participate.
Yes, I would enjoy seeing others participate.
I am not interested in this idea.

Author Topic: How many people would be interested in a Monthly min/max contest?  (Read 3154 times)

Offline BG_Josh

• Administrator
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
And all the other people that are clearly here and clearly saying the same or similar things do not exist? :banghead
No you belong to the set of people, you are not all people. 

And you are derailing the thread. 

So unless you have an actual question or idea for the contest, as is, I will take your response off air.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:48:30 PM by BG_Josh »

Offline BG_Josh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Also, without naming names, one of the games I listed is a free game, freely available for free.

So, that happened.  And anyone who flipped out over costs or availability can stop shouting and you will be allowed to keep your dignity.

So to sum up.

A small number of people are interested.  That is great.  even one or two is fine, this is a contest, for fun.  And I think if people see fun they might be encouraged to join in.

Offline SneeR

• Legendary Member
  • Sneering
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
I actually hunted down Burning Wheel. It is definitely interesting, but it looks a little too complicated to swallow in one reading.
A smile from ear to ear
3.5 is disappointingly flawed.

Offline BG_Josh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I actually hunted down Burning Wheel. It is definitely interesting, but it looks a little too complicated to swallow in one reading.

There is a section where it says "stop reading and go play" follow that advice.

Offline Basket Burner

• Legendary Member
  • I break Basket Weavers.
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
I'll ignore the utter absurdity of the previous comment for a moment...

Go play a game entirely based on the rules :banghead that you don't know the rules to :banghead, when the sole purpose in playing the game is to learn :banghead, use :banghead, and abuse :banghead the rules :banghead given that it is only being done for an optimization contest :banghead... Sure, whatever you say. :banghead

:banghead

Nope, it still doesn't make any sense.

Offline BG_Josh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'll ignore the utter absurdity of the previous comment for a moment...

Go play a game entirely based on the rules :banghead that you don't know the rules to :banghead, when the sole purpose in playing the game is to learn :banghead, use :banghead, and abuse :banghead the rules :banghead given that it is only being done for an optimization contest :banghead... Sure, whatever you say. :banghead

:banghead

Nope, it still doesn't make any sense.

People like you have always amazed me.  Given how you are clearly not very bright I wonder why it amazes you when you don't understand things.  It seems like not understanding would be the default.

Also, off topic.  If you want a thread about your shorcomings, do it elsewhere.

This thread is about the contest.

Offline Basket Burner

• Legendary Member
  • I break Basket Weavers.
    • View Profile
Ah yes, the person who can barely type a coherent sentence or a correctly spelled word is the smart one. Meanwhile, the person that usually gets their point across is the dumb one. Sure. Just like you're winning, right?

You are not Charlie Sheen.

Further...

"Go play a game entirely based on the rules :banghead that you don't know the rules to :banghead, when the sole purpose in playing the game is to learn :banghead, use :banghead, and abuse :banghead the rules :banghead given that it is only being done for an optimization contest :banghead... Sure, whatever you say. :banghead

:banghead"

This is a direct reference to the topic. It is every bit on topic as it was a direct response to you, when you were being on topic. Off topic does not mean things that make you look foolish, it means off topic.

You can get away with that with some other people, but I have no problem putting uppity guys in their place. :grave

Especially those that have to hide behind a woman.

Offline Vasja

• I always edit posts just after posting.
    • View Profile
So here is an additional question:

What if there was a DnD contest every few months, but you had to qualify by playing in the non DnD parts?

Would that attract any further people?

I want to start off by saying I think running the contests for multiple systems is a great idea. It exposes the community to other games that the players may enjoy. In general, optimization is a great way to be creative and learn something.

On the other hand, I don't think entry to the other systems should be required to get into the DnD parts. I think it would certainly expand the metagame with regard to the new systems. Those with the time to learn these new systems will certainly do so if they are dedicated to joining the DnD contests.

However, the players who don't have the time or dedication to contribute regularly to the DnD side are probably not going to be willing to learn new systems. Even free systems are an investment in time and effort. I feel that many would rather just wait and watch for the results of the DnD contests rather than spend time learning a new system, just to be able to participate in a DnD contest later.

On a different note, I don't think that DnD is an overtapped well. It's certainly been used over the years, but there are many avenues of optimization still open. E6 and E8, for example, are two versions of 3.5 that I'm very interesting in exploring, and that I don't see as having been worked over thoroughly. Pathfinder is (pardon the possible pun) still an open book. And considering the variety of threads that still deal with a variety of core optimization, especially with regard to the weaker classes, I think there's still a lot to do.

OTish:I really wish Wizards hadn't fucked things up with the whole Gleemax/Communities bullshit. I was just a lurker back then, but I feel like when 339 got trashed the whole community was disrupted and fractured. It took me a few months to find BG, where it seems most people migrated to.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
so, is the first post going to be outlining the contest? or are we still pre-contest planning stage?

i would like to amend my previous statement a bit:

if the game is unknown to me, free, and small, i would likely be willing to try it and participate in such a contest if i have enough time.

if the game is unknown, free, and large, i would happily watch and comment as i have time.

if the game is not free, then unless i already own it, i will watch and comment, etc..

if the game is known to me, regardless of size if i have time, i would participate. otherwise i would comment and watch etc..

my lack of interest in new games stems not from apathy or from actual disinterest. it is simply that my group is hard put to get together as it is, and we don't have time as a whole to learn a new system, unless everyone is on board from the start and wants it. i don't want to learn a new game, get excited about it, and then not be able to play. it's pretty much that simple.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:55:47 PM by nijineko »
http://crystalballsoft.com/cblite.html  The best dice roller on the planet, bar none. Read the FAQ to see why.

https://www.box.com/s/du6s5uysdwfony9dfd3p  The Official Complete Psionic Errata.

(fixing the link) The Archive.

Offline BG_Josh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ah yes, the person who can barely type a coherent sentence or a correctly spelled word is the smart one. Meanwhile, the person that usually gets their point across is the dumb one. Sure. Just like you're winning, right?

You are not Charlie Sheen.

Further...

"Go play a game entirely based on the rules :banghead that you don't know the rules to :banghead, when the sole purpose in playing the game is to learn :banghead, use :banghead, and abuse :banghead the rules :banghead given that it is only being done for an optimization contest :banghead... Sure, whatever you say. :banghead

:banghead"

This is a direct reference to the topic. It is every bit on topic as it was a direct response to you, when you were being on topic. Off topic does not mean things that make you look foolish, it means off topic.

You can get away with that with some other people, but I have no problem putting uppity guys in their place. :grave

Especially those that have to hide behind a woman.

So most of this is what has become known as typical biscuit inane chatter, and hopefully he has left, however:

Dial down the misogyny, you are out of line.  A person interested in not being a human piece of shit would apologize and not make the mistake again.  You can decide how you would like to be treated.

Offline Kajhera

• Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Josh, think you could put the link to the sample contest in the first post?

Offline Soundwave

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science, it works.
    • View Profile
I'd like to see less people trying to pick fights with those trying to set up fun events for people to participate and more information about how to go about getting involved for those of us new at these things.

Everyone could stand to chill out a little here eh?
-SW

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
A) I like the idea of the contest.
B) (addressing the drama, don't read if you don't care to) I don't like the arguing. We all play games to get together and have fun, drama=bad. Certain people on this forum have strong personalities (like Josh and BB). If someone says something that you disagree with (like the mono-system thing that Josh said), consider heavily whether it is relevant to jump on the argumentative bandwagon. I may disagree with his sentiment, but I understand his thought process and can admit that while I don't agree, he is right. It is his perspective, and we are all entitled. If you disagree with me, ignore it and move on.

C) But as Josh said, don't just offer critiques or complaints. Offer solutions and and be constructive.

D) My solution is to have more than one contest.
D1) The other system challenge like Josh is talking about. Personally, there are many systems that I neither know nor care to participate in, but if there were a month with Warhammer 40k, OWoD, certain GURPS, Shadowrun, or a few others, I would participate.
D2) The Homebrew competition. Not my cup o' tea, but many of you seem interested. Do it, but I will not be in that one.
D3) D&D. There is always a lot of potential here, that is why there are so many of these forums, like was said earlier, the OP for this competition would have to be multi-caveat (limit level, PRC, books et alli). There is also the issue of going back in time to 1st, 2nd, or limiting it to 3.0, but not 3.5.

Since there seems to be interest in each of these three here, I doubt there would be an issue of finding someone to run each.

*condescending tone* was that so hard?
My new Sig
Sorry I haven't been on much. Will try to get things back in order soon.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile

you have been @THWUMPed with a Pillow of Aggrandizing Humility +10.

^^
http://crystalballsoft.com/cblite.html  The best dice roller on the planet, bar none. Read the FAQ to see why.

https://www.box.com/s/du6s5uysdwfony9dfd3p  The Official Complete Psionic Errata.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile

you have been @THWUMPed with a Pillow of Aggrandizing Humility +10.

^^
Are you saying that I got Thumped, or that I did the Thumping?
My new Sig
Sorry I haven't been on much. Will try to get things back in order soon.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Ah, sorry, dating myself with that play on MU* commands. That was transitive, iirc terminology, so yout received the thwumping.  :tongue