Author Topic: The Twice-Claimed Warlock (3.5 Build)  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Head Moderator
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
The Twice-Claimed Warlock (3.5 Build)
« Topic Start: November 06, 2011, 08:56:54 AM »
There are two warlock PrCs out there, one deriving power from demons and the other from devils. There is nothing in either class to prevent you from taking levels in the other.

CE Lesser drowPGtF WarlockCA 2/Devil bloodlineUA 1/Warlock +2/Devil bloodline +1/DemonbinderDotU 4/Hellfire warlockFC2 1/Devil bloodline +1/Hellfire warlock +2/Fiend of possessionFF 6
Feats: Bonus EssentiaMoI, MortalbaneBoVD (eldritch blast), OtherworldlyPGtF, Practiced SpellcasterCA (warlock), Quicken Spell-like Ability (demonbind), Sapphire SmiteMoI, Shape Soulmeld (strongheart vest)MoI
Invocations: Baleful Utterance, Brimstone/Hellrime Blast, Eldritch GlaiveDM, ?

Your bloodline levels add to demonbinder, hellfire warlock and fiend of possession at the same time.
You can demonbind 7/day, and binding weaker demons is a swift action. While doing so you count as Outsider (evil), allowing you to use the abilities of Fiend of Possession. Among other things, you can grant weapon enhancements totalling +9.
Your eldritch blast damage is 18d6, or 20d6 if you allow Practiced Spellcaster to increase it. 5/day you can add +2d6 with Mortalbane.
You can smite good 3/day, dealing +22 damage. If you can trade Devil Bloodline's bonus Dodge feat for Midnight Dodge then this increases to 4/day and +23.
You have DR 7/good and DR 1/cold iron.
I'm assuming Strongheart Vest works to negate the Con damage from hellfire warlock, so let's not start that argument again.

As an alternative bloodline, Djiini grants immunity to acid, emulating yugoloths for the full spectrum of Lower Plane contracts (shame there's no yugoloth bloodline).
If bloodline levels don't count against your character level, or you can buy them off, then take another three levels in demonbinder.

You could also trade Mortalbane for MindsightLoM, since you gain telepathy 100ft while demonbound. Or pick it up via a flaw.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:56:42 PM by Prime32 »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Re: The Twice-Claimed Warlock (3.5 Build)
« Reply #1: December 04, 2011, 05:00:37 PM »
Ever since I first saw this, I said to myself, "My, that is sexy."

Sorry, not much else to say, except that most of the possible bloodlines you could swap out for are weak, and disappointing (Titan Bloodline is nice, but is sadly against the theme.)
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

My Profile Picture Writ Large.

Get your daily feat fix here!

Offline SorO_Lost

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 04, 2011, 05:06:40 PM »
Why Drow and not Hellbred?
The Riddler is right, black mailing criminals straight is far better than breaking their limbs. We have enough people on disability as is...

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 04, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »
Demonbinder has being a Drow as a prerequisite.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

My Profile Picture Writ Large.

Get your daily feat fix here!

Offline EjoThims

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The Ferret
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 18, 2011, 06:06:58 AM »
Demonbinder has being a Drow as a prerequisite.

Just requires a few thousand gold, no?

Offline The_Mad_Linguist

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not peeved, unique, nor linguist. Username = lies.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 18, 2011, 10:00:24 PM »
Drow 0 is I think a little bit better than lesser drow.  Really depends if you think the +2 to will saves from lesser outweighs the +2 int from Drow0.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 18, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »
Or just buy off the LA.  Given the use of bloodlines, LA buyoff is almost certainly going to be usable.
Please let me know via PM if you vote up one of my posts.

Jack's Junk

Offline widow

• I'm new!
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 19, 2011, 10:57:09 PM »
The vampire bloodline is also useful, especially if you can pull off the feat shuffle.

Also why not just tack on the ritual of alignment.  Since you are not taking Fiend of Possession until the end, you should be able to aford the 50k ritual at those levels.

Now if we can only find a way to power up the blast while you are in an object.  Leadership meat suit works, but not as fun.

Offline Tr011

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Wizard.
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 20, 2011, 12:35:36 AM »
Or just buy off the LA.  Given the use of bloodlines, LA buyoff is almost certainly going to be usable.
Why wouldn't you stack let's say +2 LA worth of templates, too? Everyone can need some +stats and random stuff for some XP.